Skip to the content
High Level Description
- Description of steps or actions between a user (or actor) and a system which leads to achieving something useful;
- User or actor can be a person or another system interacting through an interface; &
- Use cases treat the system as a black box, concentrating on what must be done rather than how thus avoiding any implementation-specific language.
- Identify features (system requirements) to implement; &
- Capture functional requirements.
- Focus on how to achieve a goal or a task without giving any consideration to implementation;
- Multiple Use Cases will be needed to thoroughly define the scope; &
- Project formality and current stage will influence the level of detail included in each.
- Requires some form of interaction so does not consider non-functional requirements, e.g. performance; &
- Not a complete answer by itself, Use Cases are 1 viewpoint and should be combined with other analysis & design tools to drive out a holistic product.