Michael Davitt Bridge

Michael Davitt Bridge at Night

The Michael Davitt bridge is a swing bridge which connects Achill Island to the Irish mainland at Achill Sound. It is named after Michael Davitt. The first bridge was opened in 1887 by the National Land League which he founded.

In 1947, that bridge was replaced as it was too small to carry vehicular traffic safely. A new bridge was built along the south side of the original.  In September 2007, work began to replace the bridge for the second time and was completed in 2008.

Michael Davitt Bridge

Advertisements